Bodily Injury
"Bodily injury" covers you, household members and anyone that uses your vehicle with your permission. Any injuries or death are covered as long as they occurred where the public has a right of access. Note that "bodily injury" does not cover accidents outside the state of Massachusetts or in extraterritorial areas; or injuries to guest occupants of the car. You must carry optional bodily coverage for this.

Personal Injury Protection
"Personal Injury Protection" is a mandatory coverage that protects you and anyone in your vehicle, or someone who has permission to use your vehicle. It also covers you if you are injured in another vehicle besides your own, or if you are hit as a pedestrian. Reimbursement is also made if you need to hire someone (non-family) for work such as housecleaning that you can no longer do because of the accident.

Uninsured Motorist
Some states, including New Hampshire, still do not require mandatory auto insurance. This coverage provides protection against uninsured motorists. This coverage also applies in "hit and run" situations.

Damage to Someone Else's Property
"Damage to Someone Else's Property" refers to vehicles as well as objects such as fences, trees, stone walls, and so on. The damage is covered regardless if it occurred in Massachusetts or in another state.

Optional Bodily Injury
In addition to increasing the coverage selected in Part I, this coverage also covers driving done out-of-state and out of the country. It is important to note that Bodily Injury Limits also covers passengers who are not household members.

Medical Payments
This coverage provides medical payments and funeral expenses because of an auto accident to you, household members and anyone in your vehicle. It also covers you and your household members if the injury occurred in someone else's vehicle or as a pedestrian.

"Collision" is simply coverage of your vehicle in case of an accident.

Comprehensive covers glass, theft, fire, vandalism, falling objects, explosion, earthquake, windstorm, hail, water, flood, riots, and damage from a bird, animal or private passenger automobile not used as a public conveyance. Glass loss in Massachusetts carries no deductible unless you request it. If your car is stolen, you are allowed to receive "loss of use" coverage to rent a car. Car rental coverage begins 48 hours after you file the loss and is suspended as soon as the car is located or your claim is paid.

Underinsured Motorist
This coverage applies when the other driver doesn't have enough insurance to cover your medical and property damage loss. In Massachusetts, coverage of up to $20,000 per person and $40,000 per accident is free.

Substitute Transportation
If you're in an accident or your car has been stolen, you may have to rent an automobile. You are compensated for this cost with Comprehensive coverage, but only until your claim is settled or the car is located. Substitute Transportation covers the rest of cost of car rental if more time is required before your car is repaired.

Towing and Labor
Unless you have "AAA" or some other auto club protection, you may buy this coverage for general towing and on-the-spot labor expenses.

Passive Restraints
Credit applies only to seat belts that automatically lock into place once the driver sits in the driver seats. Manual seat belts do not qualify.

Under 7,500 miles per year
If you drive less than 7,500 miles/year, you can receive a 5% discount off your collision/comprehensive coverage. This applies to vehicles and not people. For example, some people have a third car for winter driving or a classic auto that isn't driven often. This discount applies to those cars as well.

Under 5,000 miles per year
If you drive less than 5,000 miles/year, you can receive a 10% discount off your collision/comprehensive coverage. Once again, this applies to vehicles and not people.

Use public transportation to commute
If you use public transportation such as a commuter train or a bus to commute to work, you may be eligible for a discount.